Author Topic: Flying rotary without a tenkey number pad? (radio)  (Read 3577 times)

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
Flying rotary without a tenkey number pad? (radio)
« on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:00 PM »
Hello gentlemen,

I have a question for those in the know with rotary wing radio operation.
From what I understand, the number pad is somewhat critical to the operation of the radio, unfortunately I have a compact keyboard without a number pad.

I do not mind purchasing another keyboard, but before I drop ~100USD on another mechanical keyboard, I was wondering if any rotary operators in this unit have an alternative method of operating the radio.

Thanks,

PV2 Bowman.
A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

1st Lt (Ret) Hardman

• 10C0 Operations Commander
  • Retired
Re: Flying rotary without a tenkey number pad? (radio)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »
You don't strictly need the number pad for the radios. It might make it easier, but all it does is change channels for you. You can open your radio and change channel manually.

I'll let a 153A/11F3B correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:54:51 PM by PV2 Hardman »
O. HARDMAN
1st Lt, USAF
Retired

CPT Blair

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
PV2 Hardman is correct, the numpad is used to change the channels. I personally have it mapped out to my HOTAS for easy switching. The big concern I would have with opening the radio menu mid-flight would be that you would lose the ability to maneuver the airframe should the need arise (i.e. avoiding terrain or missiles). I suppose there is probably a way to remap the bindings if you really wanted to.
D. BLAIR
CPT, AV

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, I am sure that this will come up in flight school.

If I need to order another keyboard prime will have it to me in a day or two so I'll wait until the instructors let me know the route to go.
A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV

SGT Stewart

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
R. STEWART
SGT, USA
Infantryman, 1-506 Infantry

1st Lt Leib

• 11F3B Fighter Pilot
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 04:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, I am sure that this will come up in flight school.

If I need to order another keyboard prime will have it to me in a day or two so I'll wait until the instructors let me know the route to go.

Like I told you when we were zipping around, if you have an alternative then that's fine. I just would strongly recommend against opening up the radio to change stations manually. It blocks your view, even if only partially, and it takes away your control of the airframe. That's not such a big issue when you are 300 meters up and cruising at ~150kp/h, but when you are flying NOE at ~200 then it becomes more of an issue.

I am sure you'll find a way around it even without a 10-key and the instructors will be able to help.
C. LEIB
1st Lt, USAF
A-10 Qualified Pilot, 23rd Wing\74th Det

Rollins

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
I had a mini keyboard at one time too and used one of those small numpads like SGT Stewart posted. Works awesome. Now I use a Logitech G13 but that's beside the point I guess.

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
The separate numpad is a fantastic idea, saves me some money too. Before I order one, how do you like the Logitech G13, Mr. Rollins?
A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV

Rollins

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 09:51:27 PM »
I LOVE IT! Been using it for a few years now. I fly using the stick on it for collective and rudder, the rest of the buttons I use for stuff like countermeasures, NVGs, all the PTTs, inventory and all the normal keybinds. The beauty is it has four "pages" where you can swap to a diffewrent set of keybinds on the fly. So, if I am on the ground I use the first page, if I sit in as pilot pg2, if I am co-pilot using the camera/weapons I have another set up and that leaves one whole page for radio channels. I never have to touch my keyboard while flying. Just G13 and mouse. I also have a HOTAS but I just can't for the life of me fly rotary with it. I mostly use that for Elite Dangerous and DCS.

If you can find one good price, it's well worth the G13 for many games.

CPT Bowman

• 15A Aviation Officer
  • Aviation Element
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 03:07:37 AM »
Just found a G13 for a hair over 50 dollars. Better value than a numpad due to the fact that I can use it for other games as well. Thank you all for the responses.
A. BOWMAN
CPT, AV

Rollins

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
Sweet! Good find.