Author Topic: Official server performance issue during the latest op  (Read 2973 times)

Gostrydr

Official server performance issue during the latest op
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:05:22 AM »
Just replaced my gtx 560ti with a gtx 970ftw.
drivers have been wiped and replaced with the newest available.

I logged into the official server for the op tonight, get no errors, game runs at ~2 fps

Things I tried:
redownloaded and installed mods
verified arma files through steam
restarted computer
made sure no programs are running that shouldnt be
optimized arma settings with geforce experience
verified new card isn't underclocking itself

Weird stuff:
Can host a mission from an official template and get 80fps
Can log into all the unofficial training servers and get 40-60 fps
was getting 30-40 fps on empty unofficial servers with old card
was getting ~20 fps during ops with old card
Can play unmodded arma on public servers with 50+ players + AI and still get 30 fps
I logged into an unofficial 506th server after updating the GAU-8 hotfix to make sure everything worked fine before the op and it did.

I don't know what is going on, or what else to do.

[update] Loaded into the official server after the op with the op template and got 60 fps. I'm out of ideas.

O. Thomas

Re: Official server performance issue during the latest op
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:25:12 AM »
This has been happening occasionally with 1.62, I don't have an exact cause yet, but for me it will occur when there's several scripts running and AI being processed on both serverside and through Zeus. FPS will drop to an extreme low and the game will basically lock up and need to be killed through task manager. Again, no exact cause, but chalk it up to Arma being goddamn Arma.

SSG Shundo

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:32:22 AM »
Arma runs more on the CPU side of things rather than GPU. A good CPU is the best cure for FPS issues. I was running probably average 25FPS throughout the OP tonight. What CPU do you have?
C. SHUNDO
SSG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

Gostrydr

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:09:55 AM »
Arma runs more on the CPU side of things rather than GPU. A good CPU is the best cure for FPS issues. I was running probably average 25FPS throughout the OP tonight. What CPU do you have?

The CPU isn't the issue. I could run 20-25 fps during ops with my old video card. After replacing the old one with a 970ftw my fps dropped to around 2. This only happened on the official server and only during the op. After the op on the same server with the same template I got 60 fps. On all the other servers we have that I tried I gained FPS after putting the new card in. The issue is/was only on the official server while the op was running. The only way I can test to see if it somehow fixed itself is to try it during the op next weekend.

This has been happening occasionally with 1.62, I don't have an exact cause yet, but for me it will occur when there's several scripts running and AI being processed on both serverside and through Zeus. FPS will drop to an extreme low and the game will basically lock up and need to be killed through task manager. Again, no exact cause, but chalk it up to Arma being goddamn Arma.

Yeah, I've read on the BIS forums of people having similar issues, but not quite the same as mine. Theirs was fixed by simply restarting the game.
I'm starting to think it was some network issue because my ping to the official server was around 150 while the problem was happening. Though not an absurdly high ping, it was higher than normal. But I picked a random public server running invade and annex with no mods and 50+ players + AI and was getting fps in the 30's, then loaded up our mods and tried the official server again and still got around 2 fps. After that I tried the unofficial havoc 1-3 server and was getting 40-50 fps depending on what direction I looked.

I think the only way I can be sure is to reinstall the game and mods all over again.

SSG (Ret) Beard

• 11B Infantryman
  • Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:57:09 AM »
It's 1.62. It happens to me occasionally, even single player. Sometimes the headbug fix snaps it into line.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 09:00:14 AM by SGT Beard »
D. BEARD
SSG, USA
Retired

Gostrydr

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 09:07:21 AM »
I think it fixed itself somehow. I'm still pissed at arma for making me miss the OP.

I reinstalled arma and all my mods anyway just to be sure. I'm the only one who had the problem, so I know it had to be something on my end.
I guess I'll never know what it was though.  :-\