Author Topic: Athena Map mod  (Read 4270 times)

L. Wade

Athena Map mod
« on: December 18, 2017, 04:18:19 AM »
read that we are only allowed to use the mods that we were told to use and all other mods are not allowed to be running during any 506th ops....
so i will or will not be able to use athena map mod... all id does is read game info and project my map ontop my second monitor in real time so that i dont have to take my whole screen up lookin at the map when stuff is going down.. i can just glance over.. link to the mod for review is as follows:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1181881736&searchtext=athena+map

SSG Salvatore

• 11B Infantryman
  • Combat Element
Re: Athena Map mod
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 04:23:04 AM »
Any other mod then the provided 506th custom mods (approved client side mods) are not allowed for usage on 506th trainings or official operations.
We do not use steam workshop mods or anything else that's not on the list. So you won't be able to have your Athena active while using the 506th mods.
G. SALVATORE
SSG, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry

1st Lt (Ret) Hardman

• 10C0 Operations Commander
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 04:28:43 AM »
If you pass OSUT, you will have access to the Armory section of the forums where this information lives.

I would, however, say that this mod pushes the edges of "Realism". If a soldier in combat wants to look at his map, he must analyse the risk to reward ratio to stop shooting and look at a map. While he looks at that map, he loses situational awareness.

These are factors simulated by the Arma vanilla map system, and to an extent by cTAB.
O. HARDMAN
1st Lt, USAF
Retired

CW2 (Ret) O'Neill

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 05:18:00 AM »
If you pass OSUT, you will have access to the Armory section of the forums where this information lives.

I would, however, say that this mod pushes the edges of "Realism". If a soldier in combat wants to look at his map, he must analyse the risk to reward ratio to stop shooting and look at a map. While he looks at that map, he loses situational awareness.

These are factors simulated by the Arma vanilla map system, and to an extent by cTAB.

As an extension to this, if you haven't used the cTab mod before, you'll at least be relieved to know this is far more reliable than the Vanilla Arma 3 map. 506th servers usually disable most map indicators (I.E. waypoints, friendly icons, enemy icons, etc) so having the map up on another screen would be altogether useless. However, cTab will allow you to see all friendlies in your squad in real time and displays a portion of the Arma 3 map that can be adjusted to your preference.
K. O'NEILL
CW2, USA
Retired

L. Wade

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:15:06 AM »
roger that.... yeah ive watched some of the guys that have streamed you training class... most of which is common knowledge to anyone whose been to basic training at the sandhill...... stuff pretty much i already know... the one thing i havnt got down is the map stuff... even tho i have map tools in my pack.... some reason i cant get them to come up... so some the game nick nacks ill have to wait till OSUT

CW2 (Ret) O'Neill

• 153A Rotary Wing Aviator
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 06:46:55 AM »
The only time I've ever used map tools before while in this unit was during ALC 1 and that's just because resection was a requirement. That being said, I always carried map tools anyway.

The only navigation equipment you'll really need is your compass, map and microDAGR GPS. Watch some videos, talk to some guys here, and use them in game and you'll be an Arma 3 navigation pro in no time at all.
K. O'NEILL
CW2, USA
Retired

L. Wade

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »
yeah micro dagr is what i mainly run.... makes life easy

1LT R. Reed

• 11A Infantry Officer
  • Combat Element
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 12:08:07 PM »
To use your map tools you need to ACE interact while on the map screen. This being said, it is usually easier and more useful to bring up the larger version of your micro Dagr (Ctrl+H).
R. REED
1LT, USA
Reserve Platoon, 1-506 Infantry